ATPE award winners were announced at the 2019 ATPE Summit July 17-19 in Houston.
Charles Pickitt Educator of the Year Award
This award recognizes ATPE members who demonstrate exceptional or innovative capabilities in their respective educational fields. Winners receive a $5,000 prize. The winners are:
Doug Rogers Campus Representative of the Year Awa
- Administrator of the Year—Deann Lee, Superintendent, Millsap ATPE
- Associate of the Year—Cesarea Germain, Senior Executive Administrative Assistant, Corpus Christi ATPE
- Elementary Teacher of the Year—Mindy Anstey, English, Language Arts, & Reading Teacher for the Hearing Impaired, Birdville ATPE
- Secondary Teacher of the Year—Katrina King, Health Science Teacher, Willis ATPE
- Special Services of the Year—Donald John Milner, High School Counselor, Kerrville ISD
The Doug Rogers Campus Representative of the Year Award is designed to acknowledge those special ATPE volunteers who are fundamental to the continued growth and development of our grassroots organization. Winners receive $1,000 each, and their local units receive $250 for future local unit activities. The winners are:
Floyd Trimble Local Unit of the Year Awar
- Local unit with 1–200 members—Betty Ann Plunkett, Krum ATPE
- Local unit with 201–500 members—Celena Miller, Pharr-San Juan-Alamo ATPE
- Local unit with 501+ members—Scoie Green, Katy ATPE
The ATPE Floyd Trimble Local Unit of the Year Award acknowledges local unit efforts and accomplishments during the year. Each winning local unit receives $1,000. The winners are:
Alafair Hammett Media Award
- Local units with 1–200 members—Rio Hondo ATPE, Region 1
- Local units with 201–500 members—McAllen ATPE, Region 1
- Local units with 501+ members—Northside (20) ATPE, Region 20
- University local units—Texas Southern University ATPE, Region 4
Named for ATPE’s first president, this award recognizes individual local media reporters for their outstanding support and coverage of public education. The recipient is:
- Stella M. Chávez, KERA News
Congratulations to all our award winners! Thank you for everything you do to support Texas students and educators.
about ATPE awards, including application deadlines and how to apply. Not an ATPE member? Your exclusive membership includes legal resources and insurance benefits*, influence at the Capitol, professional development and career growth, and money-saving discounts. Join today
to become part of the state’s largest and most trusted educator group.
*Eligibility, terms, and conditions of legal resources and insurance benefits apply. Visit atpe.org/protection for details.