Overview of Remote Learning Terms
Synchronous instruction is delivered in real time in a virtual setting, and attendance is monitored based on whether students are logged in at the teacher’s documented official attendance time.
- Interactive classes with students and teachers participating in real time
- Teacher-supported work time on video conference calls
- Scheduled and timed online tests
Asynchronous instruction does not require all participants to be present in a virtual setting at the same time. Attendance is measured each day through daily engagement measures approved by the local education agency.
- Self-paced online courses with intermittent teacher instruction
- Preassigned work with formative assessments on paper or in a learning management system
- Watching pre-recorded videos of instruction with guided support