Posted On: August 04, 2020
What to Know about Tax-Free Weekend
One of Texas’s most well-known weekends, tax-free weekend, is on the horizon. This year’s sales tax holiday begins Friday, August 7, and goes through midnight Sunday, August 9. For full details, visit the Texas Comptroller’s website at comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/publications/98-490.
Here are some key highlights:
- With the COVID-19 pandemic, the comptroller is encouraging all taxpayers to continue practicing social distancing while also supporting Texas businesses. Be sure to grab your mask if you go out!
- The sales tax exemption applies only to qualifying items bought during the sales tax holiday. Items purchased before or after the sales tax holiday do not qualify for exemption, and there is no tax refund available.
- To see a full list of qualifying items, visit comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/publications/98-490 and look for the heading “Qualifying Items.”
- Qualifying items can be purchased tax free from a Texas store or from an online or catalog seller doing business in Texas. In most cases, consumers do not need to give the seller an exemption certificate to buy qualifying items tax free.
- Per the Texas Comptroller’s office, during the tax-free weekend taxpayers can buy qualifying items online or by telephone, mail, custom order, or any other means (including in-store purchases) tax free, when either:
- The item is both delivered, and paid for, by the customer during the exemption; or
- The customer orders and pays for the item, and the seller accepts the order during the exemption period for immediate shipment, even if delivery is made after the exemption period ends.
Don’t forget that as an ATPE member, you have access to exclusive money-saving discounts to help you save even more. Log in to your ATPE account and visit atpe.org/discounts to check out the deals.
- Head to the BenefitHub to explore more than 10,000 brands, 200,000 offers, and one million products.
- Ship and save with UPS. ATPE members have access to flat-rate pricing with savings of 45% on domestic next day/deferred, 25% on ground commercial/residential, and up to 50% on additional services. Plus, use UPS Smart Pickup® service for free shipping.
- Join Costco as a new member and receive a $30 Costco Shop Card.
- Enroll in a variety of health and lifestyle benefits, such as Teladoc, Doctors Online, and pharmacy services.
- Stock up on school supplies with discounts of up to 80% on more than 93,000 products at Office Depot and OfficeMax.
Not an ATPE member? Join
the state’s largest community of educators today.
© The Association of Texas Professional Educators (ATPE) 2020
All Rights Reserved
No part of this website or blog or any of its contents may be reproduced, copied, modified or adapted, without the prior written consent of the Association of Texas Professional Educators, unless otherwise indicated for stand-alone materials. All requests for content sharing or dissemination may be forwarded to the Communications Director, ATPE at firstname.lastname@example.org