ATPE at the Capitol
The 88th Texas Legislature convenes Jan. 10, 2023. All ATPE members are invited to Austin Feb. 20–21 for the 2023 ATPE at the Capitol event. Please join us for this important event and to speak up for your profession and your students.
Please note: If you receive a message stating your mobile number is tied to another Advocacy Central account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Times subject to change.
Monday, Feb. 20: Austin Marriott Downtown
Arrive in Austin by late afternoon to learn about ATPE’s legislative priorities and how to advocate for them most effectively with lawmakers.
|4–9 p.m.||Registration and Information|
|4–9 p.m.||ATPE Boutique
Purchase official ATPE at the Capitol merchandise, including clothing, a commemorative lapel pin, and more. All proceeds benefit the ATPE Political Action Committee (ATPE-PAC).
|4–7 p.m.||Press Photos and Testimonials Booth
Stop by to have a publicity photo taken of your group for use in local press releases. Share a video testimonial about the event or ATPE’s advocacy efforts.
|5:30–7 p.m.||Dining on Your Own|
|7–8:30 p.m.||Opening Session: Education Issues in the 88th Legislature*
|9–10:30 p.m.||The PAC’s Peak Ski Lodge: An ATPE-PAC Fundraiser
(Optional/Ticketed Add-on Event)
Put on your scarves and mittens for drinks and dessert, fireside karaoke, and February fun with ATPE! Attendees will enjoy scrumptious desserts and a decadent hot cocoa bar. Desserts will include warm beignets, whoopie pies, caramel and fruit tarts, and chocolate-covered strawberries. A cash bar will be open providing additional beverage options. Take pictures with friends in our Alpine setting!
Purchase event tickets for $40 each at aatc23.givesmart.com. All proceeds benefit ATPE-PAC, and ticket purchases will count toward your yearly PAC award totals.
Tuesday, Feb. 21: Austin Marriott Downtown
|7:45–9 a.m.||Breakfast and Closing Session*
Review ATPE’s legislative priorities and receive tips on meeting with your legislators while you enjoy a buffet breakfast.
|Information Desk at Hotel
ATPE staff will be available to assist members, answer questions, and provide directions.
|Capitol Shuttle Transportation
ATPE shuttles will run between the hotel and the Capitol throughout the day.
Tuesday, Feb. 21: Texas State Capitol
|Capitol Shuttle Transportation; Office Visits with Legislators
ATPE shuttles will run between the Capitol and the hotel throughout the day. At the Capitol, ATPE members will meet with legislators and their staffs and watch the House and Senate in action.
|Capitol Information Area (Room E1.018 in the Capitol Extension)
ATPE staff will assist members, answer questions, and provide directions.
|TBD||Official Group Photo
ATPE members will gather on the steps outside the Senate gallery for a group photo. The time will be announced on the day of the event.
Registered attendees will have access to additional on-demand resources and training content* before and during the event.
*Continuing professional education (CPE) credit will be available. Registered attendees will have access to additional on-demand resources and training content before and during the event.
Request to Attend ATPE at the Capitol
If you need assistance requesting leave to attend ATPE at the Capitol, please share this letter addressed to superintendents from ATPE Executive Director Shannon Holmes.
Housing is now closed. If you have any questions regarding housing reservations, please contact ATPE Events at (800) 777-ATPE or email@example.com.
The ATPE discounted room rate is $209 for single, double, triple, or quad occupancy. All rooms are subject to a 17.604% bed tax. Hotel parking is valet only, and ATPE’s discounted rate is $34 per day.
- Reservations may be canceled up to 24 hours prior to arrival with no penalty. Any reservations canceled less than 24 hours prior to arrival will be charged one night's room and tax.
- If paying by local unit check for sleeping rooms, the hotel must receive full payment in advance of your stay. Payments must be received by the hotel no later than Friday, Jan. 27, 2023. Make checks payable to Austin Marriott Downtown 2524 and mail them to Austin Marriott Downtown 2524, 62960 Collection Center Dr., Chicago, IL 60693-0960.
NEW: Legislative District Coordinator Information
We are recruiting ATPE members and leaders to serve as coordinators for their legislative district(s) during ATPE at the Capitol. The role of each Legislative District Coordinator will be to:
- Serve as a point of contact for other ATPE members attending ATPE at the Capitol from your same legislative district.
- With guidance from the ATPE lobby team, schedule a time for your group to meet with your senator and/or representative during Tuesday’s trip to the Capitol.
- Set up a time before the legislative visit for your group to get together and discuss a plan for the meeting with the legislator, including which topics will be brought up and who will serve as the group’s spokesperson on the chosen topic(s).
- Ensure attendees from your district know when and where to meet during the event.
- Conduct a debrief with your group immediately after the legislator meeting.
- Make sure written feedback about your legislator meeting is shared with the ATPE lobby team.
Legislative District Coordinators will receive special recognition during ATPE at the Capitol.
NOTE: There will be one coordinator assigned to each House and Senate district who will be in charge of scheduling the meeting for that district. ATPE has sent scheduling instructions to the coordinators already selected, but we still have some holes to fill. If you are interested in volunteering to serve as a coordinator for your House or Senate district, please fill out this form.