Leadership ATPE is a dynamic one-year program that offers valuable professional development, leadership training, and networking opportunities for professionals who are (relatively) new to the education field and our association. This year-long educational program will focus on the skills that emerging leaders need to best serve their schools and communities, pursue leadership roles within ATPE, and advance their careers—including public speaking and presentation, nonprofit governance, membership recruitment and engagement, advocacy, and more. Participants will attend two expense-paid weekend learning retreats, network with their colleagues throughout the year, and be recognized during the ATPE Summit.
Leadership ATPE takes place every two years, and ATPE members are invited to apply for the 2019-20 program year.
Application deadline EXTENDED: May 24, 2019. Candidates selected for the program will be notified of program acceptance in June or July.
Please review all of the application requirements and selection criteria below before submitting an application.
Applicants must pay a $10 application fee. Please submit payment by check mailed to 305 E. Huntland Dr., ATTN: Leadership ATPE, Austin, TX 78752. All other program expenses, including study materials and travel costs for the fall and spring retreats, will be covered by ATPE.
For additional information, email email@example.com or call Bria Moore at 800-777-2873.
Leadership ATPE was established in 2018 and is designed to identify and cultivate emerging ATPE leaders through a year-long, intensive leadership training academy. The program, which will be held every other year starting with the 2019-20 membership year, is designed to recognize one qualified applicant from each of the 20 ATPE regions by inviting them to participate in this elite program. Leadership ATPE draws upon the innate leadership qualities of its participants and equips them with the additional knowledge, skills, and experiences needed to elevate their service to our association, their local schools, and their communities.
Ideal candidates for Leadership ATPE are those educators with three to five years of experience as a professional or associate member of ATPE. The selection committee aims to recruit those members who are dedicated to advocating for ATPE and the education profession; possess a keen interest in serving as an elected officer of ATPE at the local, region, or state level; and want to learn more about best practices for associations, volunteer leadership, and board governance.
- Applicants must have been an ATPE member for at least two years, including the current 2018-19 membership year.
- The following members are ineligible to apply: current or past members of the ATPE Board of Directors, current or past state officers, retired members, public members, college student members, and student teacher members of ATPE.
- Applicants selected for the Leadership ATPE class must commit to attending two mandatory weekend training retreats during the program year. The retreats are scheduled for Nov. 1 - 3, 2019, and March 6 - 8, 2020, at the Horseshoe Bay Resort in the beautiful Texas Hill Country. All travel, lodging, and meal expenses will be paid by ATPE. Failure to attend both of the training retreats will result in removal from the Leadership ATPE class.
- Applicants must pay a $10 application fee. Payment is due at the time of submission of the online application. All other program expenses, including study materials and travel costs for the fall and spring retreats, will be covered by ATPE.
- At the time of the application, all applicants must certify that they have read all requirements of the program and will commit to attending both of the weekend training retreats and participating in all assignments during the program year.
- Applications are due by April 30, 2019.
- All applications must include the following:
- Two letters of recommendation. At least one recommendation should come from a professional supervisor or colleague, and one recommendation should come from an ATPE member who is familiar with the applicant’s service to ATPE .
- Description of employment history and professional experience, either within the application itself or through an attached résumé
- A recent headshot (digital size not to exceed 1 MB) that may be used for media releases and announcements
- Additional supporting documentation, such as a brief PowerPoint presentation or video
All letters of recommendation, resumes, and any additional supporting documentation MUST
be emailed with the downloadable application form and cannot be sent separately.
A selection committee made up of ATPE state officers, ATPE staff members, and other ATPE leaders will review applications and select the Leadership ATPE class. ATPE staff will verify the membership status of the applicants, and the selection committee will give preference to applicants who have been members of ATPE for less than 10 years.
The selection committee intends to choose one qualified applicant from each of the 20 ATPE regions to join the Leadership ATPE class each year. In the event that no qualified applications are received from an individual ATPE region, the selection committee at its discretion may consider extending invitations to additional candidate(s) from other regions in order to fill all alloted slots.
Leadership ATPE is an educational program offered by the Association of Texas Professional Educators. It does not discriminate based upon race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, age, national origin, physical disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
Applications for the 2019-20 Leadership ATPE class will be accepted from March 18, 2019, until May 24, 2019. Deliberations will be made by the selection committee during May and June. Candidates selected to join the Leadership ATPE class will be announced in June or July, prior to the ATPE Summit. All applicants will receive written notification of the selection committee’s decision.