Leadership ATPE is a dynamic one-year program that offers valuable professional development, leadership training, and networking opportunities for professionals who are (relatively) new to the education field and our association. This year-long educational program will focus on the skills that emerging leaders need to best serve their schools and communities, pursue leadership roles within ATPE, and advance their careers—including public speaking and presentation skills, strategic thinking practices, building connections, enhancing interpersonal communication, advocacy, and more. Participants will attend two expense-paid weekend learning retreats, network with their colleagues throughout the year, and be recognized during the ATPE Summit.
Leadership ATPE takes place every two years, and ATPE members are invited to apply for the 2023-24 program year starting March 27, 2023. Applications will be accepted through May 31, and applicants who are selected will be notified of acceptance the week of June 19.
Please review all application requirements and selection criteria below before applying. Applicants must pay an application fee. All other program expenses, including study materials and travel costs for the fall and spring retreats, will be covered by ATPE.
Leadership ATPE was established in 2018 and is designed to identify and cultivate emerging ATPE leaders through a year-long, intensive leadership training academy. The program, which is held every other year, is designed to recognize one qualified applicant from each of the 20 ATPE regions by inviting them to participate in this elite program. Leadership ATPE draws upon the innate leadership qualities of its participants and equips them with the additional knowledge, skills, and experiences needed to elevate their service to our association, their local schools, and their communities.
Ideal candidates for Leadership ATPE are those educators with three to five years of experience as a professional or associate member of ATPE. The selection committee aims to recruit those members who are dedicated to advocating for ATPE and the education profession; possess a keen interest in serving as an elected officer of ATPE at the local, region, or state level; and want to learn more about best practices for associations, volunteer leadership, and board governance.
- Applicants must have been an ATPE member for at least two years, including the current 2022-23 membership year.
- The following members are ineligible to apply: current or past members of the ATPE Board of Directors, current or past state officers, retired members, public members, college student members, and student teacher members of ATPE.
- Applicants selected for the Leadership ATPE class must commit to attending two mandatory weekend training retreats during the program year. The fall and spring training retreats will be held at Lone Star Court in Austin Oct. 13–15, 2023, and April 5–7, 2024. All travel, lodging, and meal expenses will be paid by ATPE. Failure to attend both training retreats will result in removal from the Leadership ATPE class.
- Applicants must pay an application fee. Payment is due at the time of submission of the online application. All other program expenses, including study materials and travel costs, will be covered by ATPE.
- At the time of the application, all applicants must certify that they have read all requirements of the program and will commit to attending both weekend training retreats and participating in all assignments during the program year.
- Applications are due by May 31, 2023.
- All applications must include the following:
- Two letters of recommendation. At least one recommendation should come from a professional supervisor or colleague, and one recommendation should come from an ATPE member who is familiar with the applicant’s service to ATPE
- Description of employment history and professional experience, either within the application itself or through an attached resume
- A recent headshot (digital size not to exceed 1 MB) that may be used for media releases and announcements
- Additional supporting documentation, such as a brief PowerPoint presentation or video
N.B: All letters of recommendation, resumes, and any additional supporting documentation MUST be emailed with the downloadable application form and cannot be sent separately.
A selection committee made up of ATPE state officers, ATPE staff members, and other ATPE leaders will review applications and select the Leadership ATPE class. ATPE staff will verify the membership status of the applicants, and the selection committee will give preference to applicants who have been members of ATPE for fewer than 10 years.
The selection committee intends to choose one qualified applicant from each of the 20 ATPE regions to join the Leadership ATPE class each year. In the event that no qualified applications are received from an individual ATPE region, the selection committee at its discretion may consider extending invitations to additional candidate(s) from other regions in order to fill all allotted slots.
Leadership ATPE is an educational program offered by the Association of Texas Professional Educators. It does not discriminate based upon race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, age, national origin, physical disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
Applications for the 2023-24 Leadership ATPE class will open March 27, 2023. Deliberations will be made by the selection committee during May and June. Candidates selected to join the Leadership ATPE class will be announced prior to the ATPE Summit. All applicants will receive written notification of the selection committee’s decision.