Posted On: August 09, 2019
The Ins and Outs of Tax-Free Weekend
Ready, set, shop: Tax-free weekend is upon us! One of Texas’s most well-known weekends, tax-free weekend, is upon us. Tax-free weekend runs from Friday, August 9, through Sunday, August 11.
Here’s everything you need to know about tax-free weekend
in Texas and how to use your ATPE discounts to stretch your dollars even further, both during and after the weekend.
- Per the Texas Comptroller’s website, shoppers can purchase most clothing, footwear, school supplies, and backpacks tax free. Items must be sold for less than $100.
- Tax-exempt clothing items include: athletic socks, baby clothes, belts, blouses, boots, jackets, jeans, pajamas, shirts, sweats, uniforms, and a whole lot more. Click here to see the full list of all qualifying and nonqualifying items.
- Tax-exempt school supplies include: binders, blackboard chalk, book bags, calculators, cellophane tape, compasses, composition books, crayons, erasers, folders (expandable, pocket, plastic, and manila), glue, paste and paste sticks, highlighters, index cards and index card boxes, legal pads, lunch boxes, markers (including dry erase markers), notebooks, paper (loose leaf ruled notebook paper, copy paper, graph paper, tracing paper, manila paper, colored paper, poster board, and construction paper), pencil boxes and other school supply boxes, pencil sharpeners, pencils, pens, protractors, rulers, scissors, and writing tablets.
- Are you interested in a kit for school supplies and wondering if it counts as tax exempt? According to the Comptroller: “For kits of school supplies that contain exempt items, as well as taxable ones, the taxability depends on the value of exempt or taxable items in it. There is no limit on the quantity of school supplies in a kit, but if the value of the exempt items is more than the taxable ones, the kit is exempt. If the value of the taxable items is more than the exempt ones, then the kit is taxable.”
- Visit comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/publications/98-490 for full details.
Plus, don’t miss out on these exclusive money-saving discounts for ATPE members
. Log in to your ATPE account and visit atpe.org/discounts
to check out the deals!
- ATPE’s online shopping mall, Azigo, allows members to earn cash back by shopping at some of the most well-known stores, including Target, Kohl’s, Best Buy, Nordstrom Rack, and Sephora.
- Head to the BenefitHub to explore more than 10,000 brands, 200,000 offers, and one million products.
- Capitalize on up to 80 percent savings on school supplies with OfficeMax/Office Depot. We’re talking about discounts of up to 80 percent on more than 93,000 products at Office Depot and OfficeMax. Members can shop online or in stores and enjoy FREE next-day shipping on online orders over $50!
Not a member? Join ATPE today
to become part of the largest and most trusted educator group in Texas. Members can more than recoup the cost of their dues by using their ATPE discounts
© The Association of Texas Professional Educators (ATPE) 2021
All Rights Reserved
No part of this website or blog or any of its contents may be reproduced, copied, modified or adapted, without the prior written consent of the Association of Texas Professional Educators, unless otherwise indicated for stand-alone materials. All requests for content sharing or dissemination may be forwarded to the Communications Director, ATPE at email@example.com