Gain leadership skills and make friends through ATPE
Members are the lifeblood of ATPE. Working educators just like you serve as ATPE volunteers in school districts throughout the state.
There are many ways to get involved with ATPE: as a campus representative, as a local unit officer or as an ATPE Ambassador (if your district doesn’t yet have an active ATPE local unit). You can also volunteer for ATPE state committee service.
Getting started as an ATPE volunteer is easy. Simply contact Anna Belle Burleson, ATPE’s volunteer program coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
to learn about opportunities in your district.
What is a campus representative?
serve as the voice of ATPE on their campuses. This is an easy and extremely rewarding volunteer role. As a campus rep, you have two primary responsibilities:
- Distributing membership materials and asking your colleagues to join ATPE.
- Sharing information about ATPE benefits and activities and legislative happenings throughout the year.
Some educators are concerned that if they become campus reps, they’ll have to assist their colleagues with job-related legal issues. That is not the case. In fact, all a campus rep should do when approached by a fellow member with a job-related concern is remind the member that help is only a phone call to (800) 777-ATPE or a visit to atpe.org away.
What is a local unit officer?
Local unit officers ensure that ATPE has a presence at the school district level by:
- Coordinating a local membership campaign to recruit new members and retain prior-year members.
- Recruiting and recognizing volunteers.
- Conducting local unit elections.
- Ensuring the local unit is represented at the ATPE House of Delegates meeting.
- Advocating for public education at the district and state level.
- Participating in community service activities, such as fun runs and district events.
What is an ATPE Ambassador?
An ATPE Ambassador
is similar to a campus representative but works in a district without an ATPE local unit. Ambassadors:
- Distribute membership materials and ask colleagues to join ATPE.
- Share information about ATPE benefits and activities and legislative happenings throughout the year.
Some ATPE Ambassadors charter an ATPE local unit in their district with the support of their ATPE regional representative.
Questions? Send us a message
or call the ATPE state office at (800) 777-2873.