Association of Texas Professional Educators

WARNING: At this time, funding is only available for students who submitted an application for summer 2011 by the July 1, 2011 deadline. Due to legislative budget cuts, all funding for the program will be discontinued beginning fall 2011.

Tuition Exemption

Texas has a certified educational aide exemption program for college tuition. That means if you are a certified educational aide, you can apply to have all your tuition and mandatory fees exempted at Texas public colleges or universities when earning your teacher certification. According to State Board for Educator Certification rules, anyone employed by a Texas public school district as a para-educator who works directly with students in the classroom can apply for an educational aide certificate through their school district.

Contact your district’s human resources office and talk to someone about becoming certified. Not only will you become officially recognized by the state of Texas as a certified educational aide, but you will have the opportunity to apply for the college tuition and fees exemption.

Other options for teachers’ aides seeking to become certified teachers are federal student aid programs, which are available to students enrolled at least half-time in a program to obtain state teaching certification. For more information on these and other programs, contact the financial aid office at the college or university you wish to attend or check out these websites: and