Grant for Teaching Excellence
(In Memory of Christa
Year Award Recipients
The ATPE Grant for Teaching Excellence, created in memory of Christa McAuliffe, acknowledges
outstanding and creative ATPE members who develop programs or proposals intended to improve the
quality of education for the children in their classrooms.
Two cash awards of $1,000 are presented each year, one to an elementary-level applicant and the
other to a secondary/middle school-level applicant.
Criteria and guidelines
- Each applicant must be an ATPE member.
- Applicants must use the 2012-13 application.
- Applicants must indicate on the form which category they are entering: elementary or
- Applicants should include an itemized cost analysis of all components of their proposals; an
itemization of additional funds, if any,
to be used for their proposed programs; and an explanation identifying the source of
A committee of ATPE members is selected each year by the state president and approved by the Board
of Directors. This judging committee will review all applications and select one recipient for each category. Recipients will be
notified of their winning and receive their grant checks in December 2012. Recipients’ completed projects will be featured in an
audiovisual presentation shown at the ATPE Summit Awards Banquet in July 2013. ATPE staff members will arrange a visit with each
recipient in May 2013 to take photos and video of the project for the summit presentation.
- Entries for the ATPE Grant for Teaching Excellence must be postmarked by
Nov. 2, 2012, if mailed,
or received by midnight on the same day if faxed.
- Recipients will receive instructions in May 2013 for making travel arrangements for
the ATPE Summit.
Application Form (PDF file)