ATPE Member Benefits
See how we compare with other educator organizations.
At no additional cost beyond the annual membership dues:
- Every eligible ATPE member is covered by up to $8 million in professional liability insurance. This is the broadest scope of coverage offered by any Texas educators’ association. It includes up to $2 million per occurrence for civil rights claims brought by students.*
- Eligible ATPE members also have access to up to $10,000 per claim for legal costs related to employment rights protection. The benefit is guaranteed, win or lose, by an insurance contract.*
- ATPE employs 11 staff attorneys who may assist eligible members with employment concerns at no additional cost. For prompt and confidential service,
eligible members need only call (800) 777-ATPE (2873) or submit concerns securely online.**
- ATPE members are represented at the Texas State Capitol and state agencies by an experienced team of professional lobbyists that includes former legislative staffers and a former state senator. ATPE also advocates on your behalf at the federal level on issues such as Social Security and the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (No Child Left Behind).
- ATPE's Legislative Alert Network, publications and online resources, including www.TeachtheVote.org help members stay up-to-date on fast-moving issues and make it easy
for them to advocate for public education.
- ATPE-PAC is a nonpartisan political action committee dedicated to supporting public education and those who stand behind it.
- ATPE’s resources include professional development courses, classroom tips and information about your rights as an educator, all of which are available 24/7 at
- ATPE News, a quarterly magazine, and Essentials, an e-newsletter, keep members informed about the latest education news.
- ATPE member services and discounts will help you make the most of your hard-earned dollars—something we’re all looking to do in this challenging economy. By using ATPE’s services and discounts, you can recoup the cost of your membership dues and then some! Save on auto insurance, prescriptions, travel, professional real estate services, online shopping and more.
- Plus, enjoy access to voluntary guaranteed-issue insurance products***, health and lifestyle benefits *** and low-cost prepaid legal services offered through the Texas Legal Protection Plan****.
- ATPE is the only Texas educators’ association with an all-inclusive membership philosophy. The educators who choose ATPE (and make it Texas’ preeminent educators’ association) include all stakeholders in the public education community, from classroom teachers to cafeteria workers to superintendents to education majors.
- ATPE is member-owned and member-governed. The volunteers who operate ATPE’s almost 500 local units in districts across Texas are educators like you. ATPE’s state officers are also volunteers and working educators.
- ATPE exists to support you as a professional, not to tell you how to think or what to do. ATPE does not endorse candidates and advocates for the education priorities chosen by a representative body of members.
- ATPE was founded on right-to-work values, which means we support your right to choose membership in the professional association that best complements your beliefs.
*THE EDUCATORS PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY INSURANCE
POLICY IS UNDERWRITTEN BY NATIONAL UNION FIRE INSURANCE CO. OF PITTSBURGH, PA. ALL COVERAGE IS SUBJECT TO THE EXPRESS
TERMS OF THE MASTER INSURANCE POLICY ISSUED TO ATPE AND KEPT ON FILE AT THE ATPE STATE
OFFICE. Coverage applies to an insured’s activities within his/her professional capacity and does not apply to activities that predate the coverage period. View a detailed summary. Eligibility for ATPE
membership benefits is contingent upon ATPE’s receipt of the entire annual membership dues amount for your appropriate membership
category. A disruption in payments to an authorized payment plan may result in discontinuation of such benefits, including
cancellation of insurance coverage for the entire membership year retroactive to Aug. 1 or your membership date. ATPE reserves the right to determine eligibility for the appropriate membership category. The membership year runs from Aug. 1–July 31.
**The insured member services and staff
attorneys’ assistance are offered through separate programs.
***Optional benefit in which ATPE members may enroll for an additional fee.
****The Texas Legal Protection Plan provides coverage for personal legal issues as opposed to employment-related issues and is an optional benefit in which ATPE members may enroll for an additional fee.